Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hand made gifts...

I love receiving something that was hand made. It shows how much someone cares when they spend so much time thinking of you! Last summer I had a bunch of weddings to attend and wanted a statement piece that I could wear to any of them. So needless to say it had to be an eye catcher without being gaudy! This is what I found...
Nest necklaces! 
So cute right?! The first one I found was on etsy.com and so I immediately knew it was something I could put my own twist on. I ordered pearls and wire from limabeads.com and while I was there I came across bird charms and just had to get those too! by the time I was done ordering I had enough to make myself one .. and the rest of my family also! So I did! :D

Some of my supplies

Beginnings of Rebecca's necklace

I used my little finger as a starting point then slide the pearl (egg) on once I have a good foundation.

Then start working the wire around the pearl. I've never seen a perfect nest so the messier the better!

Bind the sides together by wrapping the wire around and through.
Then make two loops on top for where your chain will go.
wrap the wire around the base of the two loops and secure into the back of your new charm. Your done!


This is one I made for my grandmother 

I added a sparrow on the side as if she was flying to her nest

I'm sure you could also make one into a ring if you didn't want to wear it as a necklace!
Hope you have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...